Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Celebrate in Finding a Cure

It never ceases to amaze me the people that I have been able to meet through Sal's Pals. Even more moving is their generosity and their selfless acts of kindness. This past August Rick, the kids and I, had the privilege of attending a milestone birthday for Dyan. Dyan didn't want to celebrate her birthday with gifts or a fancy vacation get- away. Dyan wanted to celebrate her birthday helping to find a cure, all for a boy she had barely met. Rick and I were completely blown away by the Windom's thoughtfulness and generosity. Their random act of kindness continues to serve as an inspiration for us! I asked Dyan if she would be willing to write the blog this month. Graciously she accepted! Below is Dyan's story... This month I had the privilege to celebrate with an incredible family. I met the Pinardoʼs through a dance academy that our daughters attend together. I became friends with Jenny and was curious about Salʼs Pals and what it was all about. I had no idea what it was other than an email address to contact Jenny. When I looked further into it my heart just about burst. I had no idea that it was an organization to raise money and awareness for Cystic Fibrosis. I also, was not aware that it was started by the Pinardoʼs because their son suffered from the disease. The next time at dance I sat down next to Jenny and told her how encouraging her story and life was to me. Reading her blogs and seeing how far Salʼs Pals has come you couldnʼt help but want to be involved some how. How could I be involved was the question I asked myself? Here I was about to turn 40 years old. My husband was planning a birthday party for me. He said to me, “would you want to turn your birthday into a benefit for a charity?” The minute he said it my heart jumped. I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I have everything I could ever want in life. I have a great husband, three kids, a dog, and my health. What birthday present could ever top those things. I didnʼt need store bought cards or gifts taking up space so this really wasnʼt a hard decision at all. I wanted to dedicate my birthday party to raise money for Salʼs Pals. No gifts, or cards, just money given to a great cause to fight Cystic Fibrosis. When I called Jenny to ask her if that was ok she was really gracious and said, “are you sure you have everything in the whole wide world that you have ever wanted?” I said, yep, I have everything I have ever wanted. She then began to tell me more about her son Sal. The day after my birthday event was Salʼs 12th birthday. He will now qualify to try an experimental drug to help with his Cystic Fibrosis. I thought there is no way this was all a coincidence and it made me even more excited to have this birthday benefit for him. The party came and we had a blast. My very generous and giving family and friends gave over 700.00 dollars to help support Cystic Fibrosis. Jenny got up and spoke and everyone was moved by all she had to say. We sang happy birthday to Sal. This time when we sang... “and many more” it held a new meaning to me. I have had 40 years of good health and the ability to breath normally. Here was this very handsome, sweet, humble 12 year old kid whose life expectancy is 37. I had already passed that by 3 years. Itʼs not about the amount of dollars that was made or that it wasnʼt thousands and thousands of dollars. Itʼs about the support of wanting to see a cure be found. Every penny counts. My family is so blessed to know the Pinardoʼs and how they have raise money to help find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis. I pray that this new drug possibility for Sal will also be his cure. I hope and pray that on his 40th birthday I will be there to sing.... and many more!!!!! Though Iʼll be close to 70 I still want to be there. I believe that one day a cure will be found. Until then keep giving and supporting the scientific world in finding that one drug that will save lives. Thank you so much for letting us into your life. We walk along side of you and all the others that are impacted by Cystic Fibrosis Dyan Windom

No comments: