Tuesday, November 4, 2008

New Blog Spot

After much discussion, we have decided to post a blog spot so we can keep everyone informed about Sal's Pals. Sal's Pals was created by family and friends in 2001 for a very special little guy named Sal. Sal was diagnosed with a genetic disease called cystic fibrosis at birth. Currently, there is no cure for CF and the life expectancy is 37 years. My husband Rick and I were terrified for our son's future and decided that we needed to find a way to help. We recruited family and friends to help us raise money so that we could give back to an organization that was helping our family, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. We decided to hold an annual fundraising dinner with 100% of the proceeds going to the foundation. Our committee got everything from auction items to the venue donated, keeping our costs at just a few hundred dollars! That first year we raised $32,000 and had a sell-out crowd of 350 people. Over the past six years our event has grown to 500 guests, pushing the half million dollar mark! Aside from the dollars that we are able to raise there is another component that I feel keeps bringing people back to our events, when you attend the event, that is when you will truly understand how magical it is. For me when I have others who are giving up time from their own families to help mine it is an unexplainable feeling. We are so fortunate to have such passionate volunteers and I think that is were it becomes magical for me. When I look around the room at the sea of people in attendance it stops me in my tracks to be in the company of so many generous people. Of course when most people meet Sal he is lighting up the room and they can't help but love him!
Sal's Pals hosts several other events throughout the year including; a wine tasting and several golf outings.
This new blog site will be able to keep people informed of upcoming events, as well as other events going on in the area. We will also be update the blog on Sal's happenings and how he is doing. With Sal now in second grade I think he can even update himself!

1 comment:

Bree said...

You guys are such an inspiration. I'm so proud to be a part of Sal's Pals. xoxo, Bree